3M is seeking a Technical Writing Internship for the Health Information Systems Division Summer of 2019 located in Salt Lake City, UT or Silver Spring, MD.
3M Health Information Systems (HIS) is the world leader for innovating the language of health and delivers comprehensive software and consulting services. Working at 3M Health Information Systems you will be helping with today’s challenges, while preparing for tomorrow’s.
We transform ideas into products and services that help customers add efficiency to their operations and, in turn, deliver better service to patients. The magic of 3M innovation happens when smart, creative people collaborate to break new ground, solve a problem or create a solution that improves or saves lives.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
The internship position is a temporary position within 3M. Interns typically work a full-time schedule of 40 hours a week throughout a 10-14-week assignment starting in May of 2019.
Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in a candidate’s best interest to apply early. Most hiring decisions will be made by January 2019.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Designing and writing software documentation provided to customers, including task-based user manuals; technical reference materials in a variety of formats, release notices and update instructions, online help systems; knowledge center articles.
- Using the following tools for writing and publishing documents: AuthorIt, Adobe Acrobat, RightNow, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
- Writing documents that reflect a clear understanding of products.
- Addressing the information needs of the applicable audience, being clear and accurate.
- Conforming to department standards of formatting, information design, and usability.
- Creatively gathering and critically analyzing source information from subject matter experts and other sources.
- Collaborating with other writers on team writing, when necessary.
- Attending all cross-functional team meetings and maintaining open communication between those teams and the Documentation department.
- Fostering a respectful, cooperative work environment.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited University
- Currently possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Strong writing and editing skills, excellent communication and research skills, competency with desktop publishing tools and computers in general, and the ability to learn and adapt quickly.
- The following additional skills and experience would be helpful, but are not required: project management, web design, instructional design, content management, and experience in the healthcare industry.
- Previous experience using the following tools for writing and publishing documents: Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel.
Location: Salt Lake City, UT or Silver Spring, MD
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT))
Diverse & Inclusive 3M
3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative people. Where your diverse talents, inclusiveness, initiative and leadership are valued. Where you’ll find challenging opportunities that make your career exciting and rewarding. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place to grow and be rewarded for excellence.
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Here, you go! For information about a career at 3M go directly to www.3m.com/careers.
Work with the Best and the Brightest, our culture.
3M is a giant melting pot of smart, motivated people. Here, you will discover an inclusive culture and will collaborate with other curious, creative minds. Our huge array of global locations, technologies and products provides many pathways to a rewarding career. We give you the flexibility to help balance your work life with your personal life.
Most Recent great-news / Awards: 3M received recognition as being A Most Ethical Company! Promoting Ethical Business standards and practices internally, enabling managers and employees to make good choices, and shaping future industry standards by introducing tomorrow’s best practices today. Honorees have historically out-performed others financially, demonstrating the connection between good ethical practices and performances that’s valued. To View this recognition, please visit: http://bit.ly/EthisphereWorldsMostEthicalCompanyAward