3M is seeking an Inside Sales Intern located in Maplewood, MN for summer 2019. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
For more than 100 years, people around the world have looked to 3M for products and ideas that solve problems and make their lives easier, better and more complete. With more than 55,000 products, 45-plus core technology platforms and leadership in major markets served worldwide, 3M provides ingenious solutions to meet customers’ varying needs. In addition to household brands such as Post-it®, Scotch®, and Nexcare™, the company also specializes in industries that use adhesives, chemicals and advanced materials, films, medical device products, and more.
Operated out of Maplewood, Minnesota, 3M is a multinational conglomerate divided into five core businesses: Consumer, Electronics and Energy, Health Care, Industrial, and Safety & Graphics. With over 90,000 employees worldwide and operations in 70 countries, 3M makes up one of the thirty Dow Jones Industrial Average Components.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders.
An internship is a temporary position within 3M. Frontline interns typically work a full-time schedule starting in late May through August. This position is limited to working 899 hours per service credit year. 3M provides eligible interns with temporary housing and round-trip travel reimbursement in accordance with current policy.
About the Frontline Program:
The 3M Frontline Internship Summer Program offers qualified students a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to sell for one of our 21 divisions in an inside sales position. For the 11-week assignment, the first 2 weeks will be spent participating in an orientation and training program. Participants will then spend the remainder of the summer selling, in a designated business assignment, for one of 3M’s divisions based in the following business groups: Consumer, Energy & Electronics, Health Care, Industrial or Safety & Graphics.
Interns are expected to achieve specific sales objectives for assigned territory or account subset. Intern expected to develop basic understanding of product lines, customer segments and their needs, competitive products, prices and policies. Responsible for performing work as an individual contributor within a forecast target and as a sales team member.
Each internship will differ based on the 3M business group where the intern is placed. At completion of the intern assignment, each intern will be expected to have demonstrated the following skill sets:
- Territory Management: work with territory reps and create a coverage plan; conduct evaluation of competitive, penetration, and retention end-user accounts; identify appropriate key contacts within end-user accounts
- Sales Planning: conducted thorough end-user account research; confirm scheduled appointments; established sales call objectives; prepare questions in advance
- Customer Focus: understand customer’s organization and structure, manufacturing and distribution, brand strategy and customer
- Selling Skills: understand the importance of listening skills within the sales process; ask probing questions to uncover customer needs; create a sense of urgency; maintain and grow account list through cross-selling; determine the end-user customer needs; maintain alignment between selling cycle and buying cycle and adjust as require; relate relevant benefits and close the sales
- Teamwork/Problem Solving: recognized and accepted team goal(s); demonstrated respect for and worked cooperatively with other team members; identified problems and their cause; persevered in solving problems; demonstrated a positive attitude; maintain a professional manner with customers and channel partners; displayed trust in other team members; work independently, be self-motivated and energetic
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government, or military environments to a 3M career.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited university
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited university in Sales or Marketing
- Junior or Senior level standing (Graduating in June 2019, December 2019 or June 2020) or the completion of Junior/Senior level coursework at the start of the internship
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Completion of two of the required sales classes in the major, minor or concentration
- Strong time management skills, ability to analyze and solve complex problems, communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Strong aptitude and desire for a career in sales
Location: Maplewood, MN
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)