Open & closing dates
08/09/2018 to 08/13/2018
Pay scale & grade
$41,365 to $53,773 per year
7 vacancies in the following location:
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Individuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Learn more about this agency
- The responsibilities described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence, and limited complexity.
- Acquire equipment and services of significant importance to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Solicit, negotiate, administer, close out and terminate purchase orders and contracts for a wide variety of commodities including: furniture, telecommunication equipment, and various services and maintenance efforts.
- Develop, implement, and review contracting plans for pre-award, post-award, price/cost analysis, and a wide variety of procurement activities.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position; (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity, OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Conditions of Employment:
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National to apply for this position.
- Successfully pass a Background Investigation including financial disclosure.
- You must pass a drug screening.
- You must submit resume and supporting documentation.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Political appointees may require OPM approval before on-boarding.
QualificationsBasic Education Requirement:
A. 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree with a major in any field;
B. 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing, economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.
Note: Transcripts are required to show proof of meeting the above education requirement.
GS-07: You qualify at the GS-07 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level in the federal government, that equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Reviewing purchase requisitions for accurate information and any special instructions;
- Researching and contacting venders to obtain pricing information and other special provisions;
- Preparing requests;
- Evaluating proposals;
- Making recommendations of award and repairing procurement documents; OR
- You may substitute superior academic achievement for the experience required. You must have completed the requirements for a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale, class standing in the upper third of a graduating class or major subdivision, or membership in a national scholastic honor society; OR
- You may substitute successful completion of one year of full-time graduate education in a qualifying field for the experience required at the GS-07 level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise a year of graduate education. If that information is not available, use 18 semester or 27 quarter hours.
Please read the following important information to ensure we have everything we need to consider your application:
It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable), as it relates to this job opportunity. Please be clear and specific when describing your work history as we cannot make assumptions regarding your experience. Your application will also be rated and ranked among others based on your responses to the online questions.
Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Job Title (include series and grade if Federal Job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer’s name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18 2007 to April 05 2008)
- Start and end dates for each grade/pay level if you’ve held a federal position.
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Determining length of General or Specialized Experience is dependent on the above information and failure to provide the above information may result in a finding of ineligible.
If you are using current or prior federal experience as a basis for qualifying for this position, the grade levels and length of employment (mm/dd/year) at each grade level must be listed in your work history. This information will be further validated if selected for this position.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience):
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build criteria competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer service. Please provide the dates and amount of time/hours worked earning this experience.
This is a Recent Graduate position in the Pathways Program. Selected individuals are placed in a dynamic one year developmental program in the excepted service designed to lead to a civil service career in the Federal government. At the successful conclusion of this program, the agency may non-competitively convert individuals to a term or permanent position in the competitive service. Conversion to a Federal competitive service position will be at the discretion of the agency and is neither guaranteed nor implied.
RECENT GRADUATE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To meet the Program requirements, you must have obtained a qualifying degree to include an Associates, Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional, Doctorate, OR obtained a Vocational, Technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution, within the previous two years from the closing date of the announcement. Preference eligible veterans who were precluded from applying due to to their military service obligation, begin their two-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years from the date on which the degree or certification was completed. Transcripts must be submitted at the time of application to support that you have the required program eligibility.
All education must be from accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Applicants may verify accreditation at the following website: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Index.aspx
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select “Benefits.” Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, this position requires completion and adjudication of a background investigation. This may include a review of financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. The background investigation process is initiated after a selection is made. For more information visit the OPM Myth Buster Page.
If a SECRET or TOP SECRET clearance is needed, all selected candidates must meet the requirements for these clearances prior to placement AND maintain that level of clearance while encumbering the position.
Special Hiring Authorities
Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, Schedule A, Eligible Family Members: You possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility and to understand the documentation that would be required with your application, click on the links above and contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement. We encourage you to apply to USCIS vacancies using these special hiring authorities.
USCIS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
It is our responsibility to eliminate any risks to national security, public health, and public safety that could be posed by individuals who use illegal drugs. This position may be subject to random testing as a condition of employment. A positive drug test or refusal to be tested will result in disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service.
If you previously retired from the Federal service and are receiving an annuity, your salary may be offset by the amount of your annuity.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this position based upon information reflected in your resume. Your resume must support your responses to the job specific assessment questionnaire, level of education claimed, experience, and/or training. To remain in consideration for this position, please ensure your resume covers this requirement and that your resume has been successfully submitted as part of your on-line application package.
- Best-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The assessments for this job will measure:
- Attention to Detail
- Contracting / Procurement
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Oral Communication
- Requirements Analysis
- Self- Management
Creation of this package includes completing the on-line assessment questionnaire, uploading your resume, and uploading any required supporting documents.
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
If you are found best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10269369.
Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans’ preference, please click here.
Note: Applicants who are referred to the hiring office for selection consideration may be required to complete a writing sample and/or other writing exercise as part of the interview/selection process. If the hiring office decides to request a writing sample and/or other writing exercise as part of its selection process, a designated contractor or Agency representative will contact you to: (1) inform you of this requirement; and (2) provide further instructions.
- For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
- This position IS in the bargaining unit.
- This position IS NOT considered “essential” for purposes of reporting to work when the facility might otherwise be closed.
- USCIS may fill one or more positions using this vacancy.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Your resume (may not exceed 5 pages in length) that clearly demonstrates experience that meets the requirements of this position as outlined in the “Qualifications” section. You are highly encouraged to save your resume to a PDF document and upload the PDF document in lieu of submitting your resume created through Resume Builder or other such programs i.e., Word, Google Docs, etc.). This helps ensure you meet the 5-page resume limit.
- Your responses to the job questionnaire https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10269369(submitted through the on-line application process in USA Jobs. Responses DO NOT need to be attached as an additional document to your application).
- Transcripts: You must submit a copy of your college transcript (unofficial is acceptable). For verification purposes, the transcript submitted must include your name, the name of the institution, and the date your degree or certification was conferred. Those with foreign education, click this link.
- Veterans: If you are applying for 5-Point Preference you must submit your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) showing your Character of Service. If you are applying for 10-point Preference you must fill out the SF-15 (click here for the form) and provide the required documentation listed on the back of the form. If applying as a disabled veteran, submit a copy of your DD-214 along with the letter from the Veterans Administration, or other formal documentation, that clearly identifies overall rating of disability. If applying based on eligibility under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the armed forces that you will be discharged or released from active duty within 120 days from the closing date of the announcement. This must indicate your dates of service, your rank, and confirm that you will be separated under honorable conditions. Click here for more veterans information. You may request a copy of your DD-214 through the E-Benefits Page.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the initial online questionnaire, the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application process will follow the bullets outlined below. Notifications are provided to correspond with each step that is outlined below.
- Click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the initial online questionnaire.
- Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- If you log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- Once you submit your initial online application (i.e., online questionnaire), you may not go back and edit your assessment responses. Please review your answers carefully.
- When you receive a notification from your USAJOBS account it may indicate that your application is complete after you submit the initial online questionnaire and documentation, however, your application will NOT be complete until you have successfully completed the next step described below.
If you meet minimum qualifications based on the initial online questionnaire responses that you submit, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. The invitation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments will be sent from email address assessments@USAHire.opm.gov. Please plan to set aside at least 3 hours for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments; however, most applicants complete the assessments in less time.
- You must complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments within 48 hours after the close of this Job Announcement to be eligible for this position. Your results will be kept on record for use when applying for future jobs that require the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You will not be allowed to re-take them for one year.
- Before attempting to take the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you should visit https://usahire.opm.gov/assess/default/sample/Sample.action to determine if the computer you are using is likely to experience any issues during testing. If you have questions about the computer requirements or require technical assistance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you accidentally deleted the invitation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments or otherwise need the information re-sent (e.g., you feel you have not received it due to a SPAM filter), you should contact email@example.com to request the invitation to be re-sent. Requests to re-send invitations to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments must be received by firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE the close of the JOA.
Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, click here for more information about the request process: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Reasonable_Accommodations_for_USA_Hire. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments must be received before the JOA closes to be considered for this job opening. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. After notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. If the email invitation is sent prior to the close of the Job Opportunity Announcement to which you applied, you must complete all of the assessments within 48 hours of the closing of the Job Opportunity Announcement. If the email invitation is sent after the close of the Job Opportunity Announcement to which you applied, you must complete all of the assessments within 48 hours from the time the email is sent.
Agency contact information
HROC Staffing Help Desk
US Citizenship and Immigration Services
70 Kimball Ave
Learn more about this agency
Once you submit your application, we will assess your experience and training, identify the best qualified applicants, and refer those applications to the selecting official for further consideration and a possible interview. We will notify you by email at various stages in the process (learn more). Your status will also be updated on USAJOBS throughout the process. To check your status, log on to your USAJOBS account, click on “Application Status,” and then click “More Information.” We expect to make a final job offer within 90 days after the deadline for applications. If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
ABOUT THE AREA: We are located in the Burlington Metropolitan Area in Northwest Vermont, minutes from Lake Champlain and the Green Mountains. The area offers a high quality of life, low crime rates, and an abundance of outdoor activities and is ranked number 2 on Kiplinger’s Magazine list of 10 Great Places to Live for small to midsize cities. For more information, visit http://www.vermont.org/visitors and Kiplinger’s Ranking.
Telework: Telework eligibility is based on the needs of the office and is subject to change.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.