Open & closing dates
10/10/2018 to 10/19/2018
Pay scale & grade
GS 04 – 05
$29,847 to $33,394 per year
MANY vacancies in the following locations:
New Waverly, TX
- Show more locations (1)
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Individuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Clarification from the agency
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Current students who are scheduled to graduate in the next 9 months may also apply to these positions. However, these students cannot be appointed until after graduation and the official degree has been awarded and conferred.
These positions are being concurrently announced under Merit Promotion procedures as announcement number 19-NCH-ENG-802-45-FS-EA. Current federal employees may apply to both announcements. This position may be filled at the GS-04 or GS-05 grade level with promotion potential to the GS-07/09.
Learn more about this agency
At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
Duties listed below are for a GS-0802-05:
- Assists in the design of roads and related structures such as culverts and retaining walls.
- Makes computations from tables to estimate road location. Reviews printouts, cross sections, and profiles; recommends traverses, gradients, culvert locations, and other aspects of the final road design.
- Compares findings with plans and contract specifications, reporting the results.
These positions are located in the following locations: BU=Bargaining Unit; NON BU=Non Bargaining Unit; TOS=Transfer of Station
Positions in the following locations are full performance GS-07 and are without relocation (TOS) available and BU eligible:
- Williams, AZ – For additional information, please contact Susan Brown at 928-635-8302 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kooskia, ID – For additional information, please contact Susan Graves at 208-935-4261 or email@example.com
- Wenatchee, WA – For additional information, please contact Kayli Ann Barber at 509-664-9351 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Positions in the following locations are full performance GS-07 and are without relocation (TOS) available and NON BU eligible:
- New Waverly, TX – For additional information, please contact Tammie Mask at 936-639-8596 or email@example.com
Positions in the following locations are full performance GS-09 and are without relocation (TOS) available and NON BU eligible:
- Pueblo, CO – For additional information, please contact Destiny Chapman at 719-553-1413 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The duty station for these positions will be at one of the duty locations listed in this announcement. Final determination of duty station will be made by the selecting official at the time of job offer. Salary range as shown is the locality pay area of Rest of U.S. (RUS). Pay rates vary depending on location and may be higher or lower than the amount shown. Please visit the Office of Personnel Management’s website for additional information on pay rates.
If you have questions on how to apply, please see the Agency Contact Information which is listed below.
25% or less – Overnight travel will be required for training and work assignments.
Job family (Series)
0802 Engineering Technical
Conditions of Employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age and meet education requirements
- Satisfactory background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways
- Successful completion of 1 year probationary period, unless already served
- Must be a US Citizen or US National
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt
Recent Graduates are on a trial period for the duration of the program. If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
This position requires 40 hours of formal, interactive training per year. An Individual Development Plan (IDP) must be completed and approved by the supervisor within 45 days of appointment. A mentor must be assigned within 90 days of appointment.
Recent Graduates may be non-competitively converted to a term or permanent position in the competitive service after the successful completion of one year of continuous service. To be eligible for conversion, the Recent Graduate must meet the following:
- Complete all requirements of the Recent Graduates program.
- Receive a favorable recommendation by supervisor.
- Meet the OPM Qualification Standards for the position to which the Recent Graduate may be converted. Conversion is not guaranteed and is based on the needs of the agency.
- Meet any agency specific requirements as outlined in the Participant Agreement.
- Perform the job successfully.
QualificationsApplicants are required to meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduate program, as described below, in order to be considered for this position.
Candidates must meet all the eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below:
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2) years; OR
- If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree, academic documentation must accompany your application package to validate your upcoming graduation date (you must complete all degree requirements within 9 months of the application closing date to be considered a Recent Graduate); OR
- Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduate Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full two-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirement for the academic degree or certificate was received.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
You must possess the Basic Requirements identified below to be considered qualified for this position, which includes all positive education requirements if applicable. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. When using previous work experience to qualify for the position, your resume must clearly detail the appropriate experience requirements.
For the GS-04 level: Applicants must have six months of any type of work that demonstrated the ability to perform the work of the position, or experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation AND six months of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-03 grade level; OR an associate’s degree or two years of successfully completed education above high school that included at least 12 semester hours in any combination of courses such as engineering, engineering or industrial technology, construction, physics, drafting, surveying, physical science, or mathematics (at least 3 of the 12 semester hours must have been in drafting if the position has been designated by a drafting area of specialization); OR combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience. The education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university.
Specialized experience is defined as: Performing computations used to conduct simple surveys; assisting in collecting data and preparing field notes and reports; experience in setting hubs, measuring elevations and distances, setting targets, and recording filed data.
For the GS-05 level: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-04 grade level; OR a bachelor’s degree or 4 years of successfully completed education above high school (120 semester/180 quarter hours) with major study in an appropriate field of engineering, construction, or industrial technology or that included at least 24 semester hours in any combination of courses such as engineering, engineering or industrial technology, construction, physics, drafting, surveying, physical science, or mathematics (at least 6 of the 24 semester hours must have been in drafting if the position has been designated by a drafting area of specialization); OR combinations of successfully completed post-high school education (in excess of the first 60 semester/90 quarter hours) and specialized experience. The education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university with courses related to the occupation of the position.
Specialized experience is defined as: Conducting simple traverse surveys; drawing simple curves; operating test instruments and controls during tests, performing specified arithmetic computations, using standard tables and substituting in formulas; inspected small construction sites with a variety of construction processes of limited complexity, such as the installation of standard electrical wiring.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://www.edu.gov/
Note regarding certificate programs: A certificate program is defined as a post-secondary education, in a qualifying education institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. While recently graduating from a certificate program may afford you Recent Graduate Program eligibility, it may not be sufficient in terms of qualification standards for the series and/or the grade level.
This position has a positive education requirement, as outlined above under basic qualifications. The term positive education requirement refers to an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) determination that the duties of a scientific, technical, or professional position cannot be performed by an individual that does not have the prescribed minimum education. For additional information on the qualification standards for the 0802 series, visit the OPM Qualifications Standard found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/engineering-technical-series-0802/
- Bargaining Unit Status: Eligible – Coverage is dependent upon unit location.
- This is a bargaining unit position represented by the National Federation of Federal Employees, IAMAW.
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND FINGERPRINT CHECK: Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
- Availability of government housing facilities will vary by location.
- Forest Service daycare facilities are not available.
- The incumbents of Recent Graduates positions may be reassigned/relocated to any geographical location where the employee’s services are needed as determined by management. Mobility agreement may be required.
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choice.
- If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS “E-VERIFY” system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identification discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- Recruitment incentives may be offered.
Women of Color STEM Conference Information:
The Forest Service will be attending the Women of Color STEM Conference in Detroit, MI on October 11-13, 2018 and will be accepting applications online through USAJobs. This is a recruitment event for Pathways positions that will be available online. Applicants can come speak to Forest Service representatives and apply for positions via USAJobs during the Women of Color STEM Career Fair Expo on Saturaday, 10/13/2018 from 10am – 4pm EST in the Cobo Center Computer Lab, Room 336, Level 3.
The link to the hiring event at the Women of Color STEM convention can be found at: http://s4.goeshow.com/ccgroup/womenofcolor/2018/sessions.cfm and https://intouch.ccgmag.com/page/woc_conference2
The Women of Color (WOC) STEM event will be located at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center Cobo Center, 1 Washington Blvd, Detroit, MI 482226. Directions and parking for the WOC-STEM convention can be found at: http://s4.goeshow.com/ccgroup/womenofcolor/2018/travel_transportation.cfm
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Please note, this position is targeted toward graduates who have been awarded their associates or bachelor’s degrees.
This position has a targeted effective date of Winter 2019.
Before you submit an application for any of our vacancies, graduates should completely review the job description and requirements. Graduates should only apply for position if they meet the required minimum qualifications AND program requirements described in the announcement. Do not apply to a duty location if you are not willing to accept or travel to that location.
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions.
Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
Applicants, who meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduates program and the basic minimum requirements established for the position, may be referred to the selecting official for consideration. Qualified applicants with veteran’s preference are listed ahead of applicants who do not have veteran’s preference.
To view the application form, visit: https://fs.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=1624866A-F20F-4219-BFBB-A967010A2908
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents must be submitted for your application package to be considered complete. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents are received within the required timeframes. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in the mail service, system failure or downtime, etc. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
1. Resume that includes the following information: 1) job information for which you are applying; 2) contact information; 3) education with graduation/degree awarded date (actual or anticipated); 4) work experience including the work schedule and hours worked per week, as well as dates of employment; and title, series and grade, if applicable; 5) supervisor’s phone number and e-mail address for each work period listed and whether or not we may contact them for reference checks; 6) references (minimum of two), and 7) other qualifications.
2. Proof of Graduation – Official academic documentation that verifies completion of degree or certificate within eligibility time limits of Recent Graduate program. This documentation may include: an official letter from the school’s registrar’s office confirming the completion of degree or certificate and the date completed; official or unofficial transcripts identifying the date and type of degree awarded; or a copy of the actual degree or certificate issued by the school. Note: If you are a current student who is in the process of completing your degree or certificate, you must complete all graduation requirements within 9 months of the announcement/application closing date; the anticipated graduation date must be included on your resume. You must provide academic documentation with your application package that supports the graduation date listed on your resume. The documentation must meet the requirements outlined above.
3. College Transcripts – An unofficial copy is sufficient; however, if selected, an official transcript will be required prior to entering on duty. Transcripts, both unofficial and official, should include your full name, school name, current GPA/academic standing, past and current (if applicable) coursework, degree program, and degree conferral date. If your school does not provide transcripts, or the transcript does not provide all the necessary information listed above, you should include additional academic documentation from the school that meets the requirements above. All transcripts must be in English or include English translation.
4. If claiming veteran’s preference, you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. If claiming 10-point preference you must also provide proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point veteran’s preference. The SF-15 should be included, but is not required. You will receive veteran’s preference based solely on the documentation provided with your application. For more information on veteran’s preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/
NOTE: If a document is resubmitted, it replaces the previous submission, which means the previous document is no longer available to the Human Resources Office. If you are adding to, rather than replacing a previous submission, you must upload both the old document and the new document. Please verify that documents you are uploading from USAJOBs transfer into the Agencys staffing system as there is a limitation to the number of documents that can be transferred. However, once in the Agencys staffing system, you will have the opportunity to upload additional documents. Uploaded resumes must be less than 3MB and in one of the following document formats: GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, RTF, PDF, or Word (DOC or DOCX).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Please view Tips for Applicants – a guide to the Forest Service application process.
Please read the entire announcement and all instructions before you begin. You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Applying online is highly encouraged. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, contact the Agency Contact listed below well before the closing date for an alternate method. All hardship application packages must be complete and submitted no later than noon ET on the closing date of the announcement in order to be entered into the system prior to its closing.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact the Agency Contact to request this.
To begin, click “Apply Online” and follow the instructions to complete the Assessment Questionnaire and attach your resume and all required documents.
NOTE: You must verify that uploaded documents from USAJOBS transfer into the Agency’s staffing system. Applicants may combine all like required documents (e.g., all SF-50s) into one or more files and scan for uploading into the application. Each file must not exceed 3MB. Grouping like documents into files will simplify the application process. Documents must be in one of the following formats: GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, PNG, RTF, or Word (DOC or DOCX). Uploaded documents may not require a password, digital signature, or other encryption to open.
Agency contact information
HRM Contact Center
877-372-7248 option 2
USDA Forest Service
Please do not mail in application, see instructions under How to Apply tab
Albuquerque, New Mexico,
Learn more about this agency
Your application will be reviewed to verify that you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements for the position prior to issuing referral lists to the selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. Log in to your USAJOBS account to check your application status. We expect to make a final job offer approximately 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.