London – 2019 Graduate Analyst Programme – Transversal Risk Management with Brexit focus
Graduate / Analyst
BNP Paribas Corporate & Institutional Banking (CIB) is a leading European investment bank with global leadership in many of our businesses. We are part of the BNP Paribas Group, a financial institution with solid foundations and a proven ability to adapt to change. If you are thinking about a career in investment banking, there is no better place to begin your journey than with BNP Paribas CIB. With nearly 20,000 employees in over 50 countries, we can offer you an exciting start to your career.
Our focus on Graduate Development offers first class training and support for bright and ambitious individuals. You will begin with induction training before moving into a real, full-time role in one of a number of business areas. This is one of the fundamental differences between our programme and others – you start a real job from the beginning; taking on responsibility and accelerating your career. You will have access to a wide range of development opportunities and will receive on-the-job coaching and support from your colleagues.
BNP Paribas is seeking to hire a Graduate to support the UK RISK Chief of Staff. This will be a transversal risk position.
In many respects, banking is the business of managing risks. At BNP Paribas, our well-developed risk management culture is based on a long-term perspective, a committed management and a strong and independent Risk organisation led by the risk function (”RISK”).
RISK is a global function present in five continents and at the forefront of Risk management through best-in-class expertise. RISK is a global, integrated and independent function with the following core missions:
- Advise the Bank Management on the definition of risk policy;
- Contribute as a “second pair of eyes” to ensure that risks taken by the Bank are aligned with its policies;
- Report and Alert Bank Management on the status of risks to which the Bank is exposed. A Risk framework covering all risk types:
- Credit risk
- Market & Counterparty risk
- Liquidity Risk
- Insurance Risk
- Operational Risk
Encompassing the whole chain of Risk-taking and monitoring:
- Risk policy
- Risk analytics and modelling
- Risk Anticipation
- Portfolio analysis: risk concentrations and stress-testing
- Reporting; Monitoring
- Risk Independent validation & Control
- Counterparty & transaction analysis
A risk organisation covering all business lines such as Investment Banking, Securities Services, Asset
Management, Retail, Personal Finance, Insurance, Wealth Management, Leasing . . .
This role supports the UK RISK Chief of Staff and his Head of RISK Regulatory Strategy. The role of the Chief of Staff and his staff comprises the following elements centred upon assisting and advising the UK CRO on immediate day-to-day activities and the strategic risk management deliverables for the UK region. Examples of Chief of Staff duties include:
- To follow and advise the CRO UK upon UK regulatory affairs linked to credit, counterparty, market, liquidity and operational risks relevant to BNPP UK and to provide support with regards to local regulatory liaison.
- To lead ad-hoc projects sponsored by the CRO UK.
- To contribute towards global initiatives such as those linked to BCBS 239 compliance or the SREP framework (covering risk identification, risk appetite, reverse stress testing and capital planning).
- To contribute towards strategic human resource and business management and permanent control related initiatives in the UK.
- To support coordination across UK RISK entities.
- To foster a collective and integrated UK risk culture.
This Graduate will hence experience a broad range of managerial and strategic topics hence not necessarily looking at risk exposures in detail but rather giving a transversal overview of the risk function and the current challenges faced by the finance industry.
The key area of focus will be on the logistics response to Brexit in the UK. This will comprise assisting the RISK UK Chief of Staff in areas such as: the new UK regulatory approvals required after exiting the EU, handling the gap analysis where new UK RISK regulation applies, managing document collections, reviews, gathering cross border service information, working with external consultants, supporting the managers in their regulator liaisons and generally giving a clear vision on the risk governance in place in the UK.
Example duties may also include support on:
- Transformation planning: assisting in programmes of cost cutting, outsourcing/offshoring regularly gathering a picture of all UK RISK teams progress.
- Participating to the organisation of internal events such as RISKtalks, individual initiatives (breakfast, Christmas party, volunteering …as we try to foster a strong community and social spirit in the department )
- Office Management: handle tasks such as managing a seating tool for London staff, database, distribution lists and org chart.
- Supporting the Chief of Staff Secretariat duties on the various management committees – and hence assisting in creating presentation materials for the management team (examples include summarising the BNPP Financial results for staff or other key messages propagating from the top management).
- Collaborate with a team of Sharepoint experts to help maintain various pages (document libraries and permissions)
- Enhancing and running a UK Talent (training and team building) program for our RISK staff
- Contributing to the creation of an agile working environment for the whole function
- Supporting individual initiatives within the RISK function such as Innovation programs or CSR. Typically candidates with coding experience in R or Python could also see opportunities in developing innovative POC/MVP tools as part of the innovation programme.
- Conduct topics: reporting (and steering) how our RISK staff adhere to our code of conduct and how Marketers and Traders adhere to RISK policies. Foster communication on these topics.
- Excellent academic background, predicted minimum 2:1 in Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Strong interest in high level staff management/logistics, risk management and the regulatory environment
- Capable of participating in large strategic projects and multi-tasking
- IT Basics: Strong in Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint. OneNote skills are an advantage
- IT Coding: Python/R/Automation software along with data science basics will also be attractive to the hiring manager but not a pre-requisite
- Technical skills/competence with regards to:
- Basic derivative product knowledge (with capacity to learn quickly)
- Risk Management techniques (greeks, risk appetite frameworks)
- Ability to interpret and identify key elements of regulation
- Awareness of the economic and geopolitical environment (ability to spot trends and relate them to the exposures held by BNPP)
- Drive for results: Delivers high quality work; able to work autonomously.
- Team player: Works effectively in a team. Collaborates and shares information and solutions with colleagues, other teams and stakeholders
- Diligence: Displays dedication and prioritises problems by considering their impact; identifies quick wins
- Resilience: Stays calm and positive, controls his/her emotions in conflict or in stress situations
- Communication (active listener and clear communicator): communicates clearly verbally and in writing; communicates proactively with management, escalating issues as necessary
- Interpersonal skills: ability to liaise in a professional manner with all levels of staff / management and externally
- Innovation/Versatility: Thinks laterally to identify options and ways around obstacles and has a strong ability to adapt
Opening Date: 19th September 2018
Closing Date: 5th November 2018