Open & closing dates
08/10/2018 to 08/23/2018
Pay scale & grade
GS 7 – 9
$41,365 to $65,778 per year
2 vacancies in the following location:
This job is open to
Native Americans or Alaskan Natives with a tribal affiliation.
Individuals with disabilities
Individuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Clarification from the agency
Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA)
This is a Recent Graduate position in the Pathways Program. Selected individuals are placed in a dynamic two year developmental program in the excepted service designed to lead to a civil service career in the Federal government. The agency may non-competitively convert individuals to a term or permanent position in the competitive service. Conversion to a Federal competitive service position will be at the discretion of the agency and is neither guaranteed nor implied.
Learn more about this agency
- Performs duties concerned with administration of engineering aspects of contracts for government buildings and facilities, ensure actual construction, compiles with contract designs and specifications and safety requirements for hospitals, clinics, office buildings and warehouse projects.
- Initiate drawings, specifications, on routine projects and works on more complex projects that have been assigned to more senior engineer.
- Review testing or observational data and develops (with supervisor recommendations) and advises on the scope of operation, modification, and repair of facilities
25% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0899 Engineering And Architecture Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- Enrolled/accepted in an accredited educational institution
- Pursuing a degree in engineering.
- Maintain enrollment at least half time as defined by the institution.
- Have and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- You will be required to sign a Pathways Participant Agreement.
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
RECENT GRADUATE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY: To meet the program requirements, you must have obtained a qualifying degree from a qualifying educational institution, within the previous two years. Preference eligible veterans, who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their two year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years from the date on which the degree or certification was completed.
Degree: successful completion of a bachelor’s or higher degree, which included major study in an academic field related to
The grade level you qualify for is based on education. You will be considered for the highest grade for which you qualify. Interns may be promoted to higher grades based on the amount of education completed and acceptable performance, however, promotions are not guaranteed.
For this position, you must meet ONE of the following criteria:
GS-07: Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education; OR, Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision and completion of a bachelor’s degree.
GS-09: Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education; OR, a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree; AND accepted into a doctorate program OR in the first year of a doctorate program.
Superior Academic Achievement: SAA is based on (1) Class Standing — Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses; (2) Grade-Point Average (G.P.A.)– Applicants must have a grade-point average of:
3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 (“B” or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 (“B+” or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; OR (3) Honor Society Membership – Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.
Degrees in Engineering Technology are not qualifying for this position. Engineering degrees must be from a college or university school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum. To find out if a degree meets this requirement, go to http://www.abet.org.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-09 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management’s discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and “Regulatory/Administrative” approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment
IHS – Operated Properties are tobacco free
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications required and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with this position. To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions.
You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance:
- Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) – https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/supporting-documents/permanentDocs/ctap.doc
- Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
- Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled – https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions:https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10247481 . All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of 08/23/2018, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Q – Nonsensitive
Drug test required
Required Documentation for Eligibility and Preference:
- Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, “Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only.” Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https://www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/IndianPref_1076-0160_Exp3-31-21.pdf. When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans’ preference the rules regarding Veterans’ preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference: If claiming Veteran’s Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veteran’s Preference, submit a SF-15 Application (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: www.fedshirevets.gov
- Transcripts AND/OR Proof of Enrollment are required: You must either provide Transcripts and/or Proof of Enrollment to verify that you meet the program requirements. Which needs to show current or future enrollment and transcripts to verify you are eligible for the grade you are applying. Applications without this proof will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
Your application package MUST be complete by 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST) on 08/23/2018, the closing of this announcement.
The first Cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions will be 08/08/2018. Other Cut-off dates will be established based on the date requests for List of Eligibles are received to fill other vacancies. 10 pt. Veterans Preference applicants who submit a complete application after a Cut-off date but before the List of Eligibles is issued, will be considered and referred on the list, if qualified.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click ‘Apply’ to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to upload required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
2. Please ensure you click the ‘Submit Application’ button to submit your application.
3. Applications must be received by the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
4. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Home, then click the Job Title to expand the details. Return to an incomplete application by clicking Apply Online in the vacancy announcement and re-selecting your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account.
The IHS provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office (Kaycee Neal, 4062477217, and/or Kaycee.Neal@ihs.gov.) The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
For additional questions please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) found here: https://www.ihs.gov/jobs/index.cfm?module=faq
Agency contact information
Billings Area Indian Health Service
2900 4th Avenue North
Learn more about this agency
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJobs account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJobs that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJobs Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed are received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
~ ~ ~ Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer ~ ~ ~
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.