Open & closing dates
08/08/2018 to 08/21/2018
Pay scale & grade
$26,677 to $34,678 per year
Temporary – 1 Year
Kirtland AFB, NM
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Current students enrolled in accredited educational institutions from high school to graduate level. Includes internships, pathways and other student programs.
Click on “Learn more about this agency” button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
The primary purpose of this position, Student Trainee (Office Automation), GS-0399-03, in the Pathways Program, is to work effectively with peers and supervisors. You will also:
Learn more about this agency
- Adhere to the organization?s rules, policies and standards of conduct.
- Make a genuine effort to effectively develop the knowledge and skills needed to be successful in the position.
- Complete all required on-the-job training, minimum of 640 hours, before or concurrently with education requirements.
Occasional travel – Work may require travel away from the normal duty station on military and commercial aircraft.
Job family (Series)
0399 Administration And Office Support Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
- Must meet suitability requirements for Federal employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at a qualiflying accredited institution
- Must sign a Participant Agreement
- U.S. citizen or national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island)
- Must be eligible to work under U.S. immigration laws
- Must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
- You must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Accepted for enrollment or enrolled in an approved program
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Have a good academic standing (no less than 2.95 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 grading scale)
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if Permitted by the DoD Appropriation Act
- Incumbent must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance as a condition of employment.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is primarily sedentary. May require some walking, standing, bending, carrying and/or lifting of light items such as paper or books. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is performed in a typical office setting, requiring the use of normal safety precautions necessary for an office environment. The work area is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated.
- The actual work performed in this position has been reviewed and determined that it does not meet any of the exemption criteria defined in 5 CFR 551. This position has been designated as nonexempt.
QualificationsPLEASE NOTE: This is not a developmental opportunity, this position may be filled at the GS-03. The individual selected for this position may be considered for promotion to a higher grade without further competition upon meeting all legal and regulatory/program requirements.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
To qualify for a GS-03: Completion of I full academic year of post-high school study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, in southeast Albuquerque, is nestled between the Sandia and Manzano mountain ranges. It is home to Air Force Materiel Command’s Nuclear Weapons Center and its subordinate wings. It is also home to the Directed Energy and Space Vehicle Directorates of the Air Force Research Laboratory.
This internship is to provide a learning opportunity for a student enrolled in a field of study relating to their career path, to enhance their future goals and improve their knowledge with work experience in a working environment
The entire period served under the Internship Program counts as the participant’s trial period.
Interns may work part-time or full-time schedules
Non-citizens may be eligible for employment if permitted by the DoD Appropriation Act
NOTE: U.S. citizenship is required for a noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term appointment with the Department of the Air Force.
Employed Annuitants (Reemployed Annuitants): Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of “not qualified” or “insufficient information” and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Interns may be considered for noncompetitive conversion to a term or permanent appointment within 120 days of completion of degree requirements, IF they:
- Are a U.S. citizen
- Successfully complete an academic course of study with a GPA of at least 2.95 (GPA 3.1 for certain engineer positions)
- Complete a minimum of 640 hours of work experience under the Internship Program
- Meet the OPM Qualification requirements for the position the intern may be converted to
- Maintain acceptable performance
It is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee the agency will offer conversion.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application – Questionnaire
- Resume – must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts – can be a copy
- Proof of enrollment/class registration
- Registration/License – active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans’ Preference – If you are claiming veterans’ preference, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214, which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference).
ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a “certification” of active service in lieu of a DD214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A “certification” letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member’s military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of “veteran” under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The “certification” must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The “certification” must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid “certification” of service with their initial application will be found “not eligible.” Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 08/21/2018
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10275761
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is “most recent.”
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. A complete Application Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 10275761
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Hill AFB DP2YHA
AFRL Kirtland AFB
1551 Wyoming Blvd SE
Learn more about this agency
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.