Open & closing dates
11/08/2018 to 11/19/2018This job will close when we have received 50 applications which may be sooner than the closing date. Learn more
Pay scale & grade
$56,233 to $73,105 per year
Internships – Full Time, Part Time
Full-Time – Excepted Service Indefinite
FEW vacancies in the following location:
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Current students enrolled in accredited educational institutions from high school to graduate level. Includes internships, pathways and other student programs.
Clarification from the agency
This is an internship for students who have recently been accepted in or are currently enrolled at least half-time in a certificate or degree seeking program in an accredited college or university, graduate, or professional school. Half-time is typically 6 semester hours for undergraduates, and 3 semester hours for Masters and above (but may be determined by the school).
This vacancy is for a Student Trainee (Research Psychologist)-Human Computer Interaction position in the Center for Behavioral Science Methods located at the U.S. Census Bureau in various locations.
**Multiple selections may be made from various directorates within the Census Bureau from this announcement for a position with the same title, series, grade(s), promotion potential, general job responsibilities and duty location **
Learn more about this agency
- Assist with design, plan, and implementation of human-computer interaction and usability research and evaluation projects.
- Perform qualitative and quantitative data analysis of human performance in terms of effectiveness, efficiency, and satisfaction.
- Generate technical reports, conference presentations, and peer-reviewed journal articles on human-computer interaction research.
- Participate in other methodological research conducted by the division.
Job family (Series)
0199 Social Science Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizen.
- Suitable for Federal Employment.
- Registered for Selective Service System, if applicable. (www.sss.gov)
- You may be required to complete a Financial Disclosure (OGE-450).
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher.
- You Must sign a Pathways Agreement
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the date the first (50) applicants are receive or on November 19, 2018, whichever comes first.
A trial period may be required.
If a degree has been obtained, please include a letter of acceptance into another degree or certificate program to show proof of eligibility.
This position will be filled under the Pathways Internship Program. This Program allows students to gain paid work experience while pursuing a degree, diploma or certificate at a qualifying institution. Under the Pathways Program, students who successfully complete all work, study, qualifications, and other eligibility requirements may be offered a permanent position work our agency upon graduation or completion of a qualifying certificate.
At the Agency’s discretion, students hired under the Pathways Program may be non-competitively converted to a term, career, or career-conditional appointment with a possible Full Performance Level (FPL) of GS-05, GS-07, GS-09, GS-11, GS-12, or GS-13 (FPL varies based on hiring department).
This position is in the excepted service.
This position is non-bargaining unit unless the appointment extends beyond 90 days.
This position may be eligible for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g., supervisory approval).
Minimum Education Requirement:
You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited high school, technical or vocational school, two-year or four-year college or university, graduate or professional school (go to www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ to verify accreditation status). Individuals who are enrolled must be taking at least a half-time academic, vocational, or technical course load leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
Basic Grade Requirements
GS-09: Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education (36 credit hours toward master’s degree), or a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree.
Degree: major or equivalent in psychology for all specializations except clinical psychology and counseling psychology.
NOTE: To show proof of meeting the Basic Entry Requirements, all applicants MUST submit a copy of their college transcripts. See the Required Documents section for more information.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that do not fall under competitive examining procedures; however, they may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
- 30% or more disabled veteran
- Persons with disabilities
The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users can contact the Human Resources Office via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions). Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans’ preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed.
Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
The following competencies are desirable at the full performance level of this position GS-11.
- Knowledge of human performance evaluation and human-computer interaction in areas such as experimental design and behavioral observation.
- Skills in data collection and analysis
- Ability in interpreting and synthesize research findings.
- Ability to conduct qualitative data collection and analysis such as probing and debriefing, as well as statistical analysis.
For more information on category rating, please go to: http://www.hr.commerce.gov/s/groups/public/@doc/@cfpasa/@phrm/documents/content/prod01_009474.pdf
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application consists of the following:
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume should also list your educational and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. If applying under CTAP/ICTAP your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire. Your resume should indicate your citizenship and if you are registered with the Selective Service System if you are a male born after 12/31/59.
- Veterans’ Preference Documentation: Please indicate on your resume the type of veterans’ preference you are claiming and provide the appropriate supporting documentation (DD-214 stating disposition of discharge or character of service, VA letter, SF-15, etc.) to validate your claim. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref.index.aspx
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) documentation, if applicable (see other information).
- Education Documentation: If this position requires proof of higher education, or you are substituting education for experience, you must submit an unofficial transcript or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. This also includes Census Bureau employees. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. Please refer to http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp for more information.
You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.
All applicants to include Census employees MUST submit a copy of your transcripts. Make sure all vacancy requirements are demonstrated in the documents that are submitted. Applicants may need to submit more than one transcript.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education’s website – http://www.ed.gov/international/usnei/us/workrecog.doc. You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
CTAP and ICTAP Eligibles
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Resources website at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap
CTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside of the local commuting area; a Certificate of Expected Separation (CES); or certification that you are in a surplus organization or occupation (this could be a position abolishment letter, a notice of eligibility for discontinued service retirement, or similar notice);
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action”, noting current position, grade/band level, and duty location;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your bureau/operating unit that shows your current promotion potential.
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside of the local commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination, certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a work-related compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement.
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action”, documenting your RIF separation, noting your position, grade/band level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc.;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
NOTE: You will not be considered if you fail to provide all required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Additional benefits available at Census Headquarters located in Suitland, MD, include: fitness center; child-care facility; credit union; free parking; convenient access to Metrorail and Metrobus transit services in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia communities; car pools/van pools; etc.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your complete application, including required documents, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
To apply online, you must complete and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov/. To begin, click the “Apply” button and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents. (After registering in your USAJOBS account and clicking “Submit,” you will automatically transition to the Department of Commerce’s specific site where you will complete your application. You must click “Submit” at the end of the application process to send your application for consideration).
To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.gov/ and click on “Applications.” Click on the position title, and then select “Update Application.”
If you have problems completing your online application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by email at email@example.com or by phone at 866.656.6831. The help desk is available Monday—Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online; however, if you are unable to apply online, please contact:
Mikaila Mackall at firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency contact information
BUREAU OF THE CENSUS
4600 Silver Hill Road
District of Columbia
Learn more about this agency
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on “Applications.” The status will be visible next to the corresponding position. The four points of notification are:
- Application Received or Application Incomplete;
- Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Requirement Not Met;
- Referred or Not Referred; and
- Selected or Not Selected.
By submitting your application, you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be terminated after you begin work; or, you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will be required to submit official documentation prior to appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, veterans’ preference, disability, etc.).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.