3M Health Information Systems (HIS) is the world leader for innovating the language of health and delivers comprehensive software and consulting services. Working at 3M Health Information Systems you will be helping with today’s challenges, while preparing for tomorrow’s.
We transform ideas into products and services that help customers add efficiency to their operations and, in turn, deliver better service to patients. The magic of 3M innovation happens when smart, creative people collaborate to break new ground, solve a problem or create a solution that improves or saves lives.
As an intern, you can grow through challenging work, get involved in meaningful projects and receive great coaching from our leaders. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in a candidate’s best interest to apply early. Most hiring decisions will be made by January 2019.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Participating in biomedical informatics projects such as medical terminology modeling (developing formal semantic types and explicit terminology models)
- Enhancing medical terminology tooling such as adding the ability to provide RDF output; developing software to manage ontology – enabling the loading, viewing and editing of created content models
- Creating user applications for the Healthcare Data Dictionary (HDD), the 3M terminology management software
- Performing software development and testing
- Participating on engineering design teams
- Working across the entire product development life cycle
- Working in an Agile and Scrum environment
- Communicating results in both oral and written form (including submissions to biomedical informatics journal seeking publication)
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited University
- Currently possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Master’s and doctoral degree candidates in biomedical informatics are encouraged to apply
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering undergraduates are encouraged to apply
- One (1) year of computer science/engineering coursework and/or hands-on computer programming experience if degree is not in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Experience/familiarity with the following:
o Java programming
o AngularJS/NodeJS or Python web frameworks
o Ontology, OWL, Protégé
o RESTful APIs
o Relational databases, SQL, graph databases
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT))
Diverse & Inclusive 3M
3M is a place where you can collaborate with other curious, creative people. Where your diverse talents, inclusiveness, initiative and leadership are valued. Where you’ll find challenging opportunities that make your career exciting and rewarding. With a diversity of people, global locations, technologies and products, 3M is a place to grow and be rewarded for excellence.
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. Learn more about 3M’s creative solutions to the world’s problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @ 3M or @3MNewsroom.
Work with the Best and the Brightest, our culture.
3M is a giant melting pot of smart, motivated people. Here, you will discover an inclusive culture and will collaborate with other curious, creative minds. Our huge array of global locations, technologies and products provides many pathways to a rewarding career. We give you the flexibility to help balance your work life with your personal life.
Most Recent great-news / Awards: 3M received recognition as being A Most Ethical Company! Promoting Ethical Business standards and practices internally, enabling managers and employees to make good choices, and shaping future industry standards by introducing tomorrow’s best practices today. Honorees have historically out-performed others financially, demonstrating the connection between good ethical practices and performances that’s valued. To View this recognition, please visit: http://bit.ly/EthisphereWorldsMostEthicalCompanyAward