The person hired for this position will primarily be responsible for equipment design engineering, process understanding and equipment functionality through the completion of engineering projects.
In this position, the engineer will provide entry-level engineering support and services for manufacturing, laboratory, and corporate facilities, develop proficiency within assigned projects utilizing established methods, practices, and concepts and acquire general knowledge and understanding of the Engineering organization. This person will also lead small engineering projects or participate on larger projects where a team approach is utilized.
We are proud to offer a culture with high levels of team work, collaboration, and cooperation. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved with numerous 3M manufacturing processes, equipment and techniques, in numerous locations throughout the United States and the world.
Applications on this requisition are reviewed and filled on a rolling basis; it is in a candidate’s best interest to apply as soon as possible. Interested candidates should include a resume as part of their application.
Roles and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Generate equipment layouts, design concept models, and validate design using computer modeling, stress analysis, knowledge of strength of materials and structures, material selection and design for manufacturability
- Utilize technical skills to identify specific customer equipment design requirements for modifying and/or improving on existing equipment
- Communicate with equipment suppliers in the selection, purchase and delivery of commercial items. Participate in the assembly/checkout of equipment in the fabrication shop and installation and commissioning of equipment in the 3M manufacturing plant
- Develop knowledge in specific technical and technology areas
- Develop an understanding of industry and 3M technologies and participate in the advancement of the technology and intellectual property protection.
- Manage project timelines and budgets for assigned projects
- Successfully interact with multiple discipline teams including 3M plant personnel, consultants, suppliers and vendors
- Communicate effectively to project team
- Gain understanding of applicable codes and guidelines to insure designs meet standards
- Possess or in the final year of pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering from an accredited program
- Possess or in the final year of pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited program
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Prior internship/co-op experience with 3M or another manufacturing company
- Project Management experience
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Team player with the ability to contribute in a matrix environment
Location: Austin, TX
Travel: May include up to 10% travel to 3M manufacturing locations throughout the United States
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain “non-U.S. persons” (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, “Temporary Residents” (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees’ U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company’s sole election.