Open & closing dates
08/03/2018 to 08/09/2018
Pay scale & grade
$37,113 to $48,249 per year
Recent Graduates – Full-Time, Term
Full-Time – Competitive Service: Career or Career-Conditional
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington DC, DC
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Individuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Economic Development Administration is seeking bright, innovate, results-oriented individuals to join the Recent Graduates Program which is an entry level program that targets individuals who have recently graduated from an accredited educational institution. Successful applicants will be placed in a dynamic, career development program. Throughout the program, you will participate in formal interactive training, job assignments and provided a mentor to develop competencies applicable to the target position. More information on the Pathways Program for recent graduates can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policydata-oversight/hiring-information/students-recent-graduates/#url=graduates
PROGRAM COMPLETION AND CONVERSION: Upon completion of the minimum 1-year career development program, Program participants may, at agency discretion, be non-competitively converted without a break in service, to a term, career or career conditional appointment. There is no guarantee for conversion.
To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must:
- Successfully complete the one year developmental program.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management’s qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
- Complete 40 hours of formal interactive training within developmental period.
- Sign a Pathways Programs Participant Agreement upon appointment.
- Meet established goals outlined in the Recent Graduate’s Individual Development Plan (IDP).
- Recommended by supervisor/manager for conversion to permanent OR term position.
Applicants will be on a trial period for the duration of the appointment.
Relocation/Moving expenses will not be authorized.
Student Loan Repayment will not be authorized.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Economist, GS-0110-05 FPL 07 positions within Economic Development Administration in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and experience.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Identify, collect, and analyze data required to use in management and direction of programs.
- Conceive, plan, and carry out research studies to resolve conceptual or statistical problems or to analyze interrelationships among variables.
- Collaborate, communicate and interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- Conducting analysis using R and/or R Studio.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel may be required.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Recent Graduates who have completed a qualifying degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution or technical education program within the preceding two years of the announcement closing date (the two years begins on the date all course requirements are met). Preference eligible veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree due to military service obligation may apply up to six years after degree or certification
Questions? This job is open to 4 groups.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- Must be suitable for federal employment.
FOR RECENT GRADUATE ELIGIBILITY: The transcript(s) or official letter from the registrar’s office must include the date your degree or certificate was conferred. Applications will not be considered without this documentation. NOTE: Copies of degrees, certificates, and diplomas are not considered acceptable documents to determine Recent Graduate eligibility.
Applicants must meet ALL application requirements, to include a complete online resume, by 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME ZONE (ETZ) on the closing date of this announcement. Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Basic Entry Requirements for All Grade and Band Levels:
Degree: Economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Evaluation of Experience
Examples of qualifying experience include:
- Individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusions and report preparation;
- Supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; or
- Teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and one of the following (1) personal research that produced evidence of results, (2) direction of graduate theses in economics, or (3) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economics problems
GS-05: Applicants who meet the basic requirements described above are fully qualified for GS-5.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employments. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management website located at www.opm.gov/qualifications.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of Silver (Well Qualified). Information about CTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Resources website at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
CTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside of the local commuting area; a Certificate of Expected Separation (CES); or certification that you are in a surplus organization or occupation (this could be a position abolishment letter, a notice eligibility for discontinued service retirement, or similar notice).
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action”, noting current position, grade/band level, and duty location;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your bureau/operating unit that shows your current promotion potential.
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
- A copy of your RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a directed geographic relocation outside of the local commuting area; notice of disability annuity termination; certification from your former agency that it cannot place you after your recovery from a work-related compensable injury; or certification from the National Guard Bureau or Military Department that you are eligible for disability retirement.
- A copy of your SF-50 “Notification of Personnel Action”, documenting your RIF separation, noting your position, grade/band level, and duty location, and/or Agency certification of inability to place you through RPL, etc.;
- A copy of your latest performance appraisal including your rating; and
- Any documentation from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
30% or more disabled veteran
Persons with disabilities
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/ No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are “gold,” “silver,” and “bronze.” However, your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best qualified candidates placed in the “gold” category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans’ preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed. Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold) depending on the position and grade level of the job.
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Skill in data management, manipulation, and analysis.
- Skills in economic research and analysis.
- Knowledge of methods in economic development and program evaluation.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques to analyze economic data.
- Skill in writing queries in R programming language.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are REQUIRED and must be received by the closing date of this announcement:
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must include information about your paid and nonpaid work experience related to this position including: job title, duration of employment (mm/dd/yy – mm/dd/yy), hours per week, duties and accomplishments, salary, and your education. For work in the Federal service, please include the grade level for the position/s. Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the occupational questionnaire.
- Education-Please see the following:
- To verify Pathways Recent Graduate eligibility requirements: Applicants MUST submit a copy of unofficial transcripts or proof that degree is conferred. (Transcripts must show date degree was conferred, name of the student/applicant and the name of the school. The absence of this information will result in an ineligible rating. You will be required to submit a copy of your official college transcript if you are selected.
- To verify minimum qualification requirements: At the time of application, applicants MUST submit an unofficial transcript or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education’s website. You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation by the closing date of the announcement will result in lost consideration.
NOTE: You are REQUIRED to submit transcripts or proof of enrollment with your application to verify eligibility requirements for this Internship appointment.
- Veterans’ Preference documentation. Please indicate on your resume the type of veterans’ preference you are claiming and provide the appropriate supporting documentation (DD-214 stating disposition of discharge or character of service, VA letter, Standard Form 15 revised October 2013, etc.) to validate your claim. For more information regarding eligibility requirements, please go to: www.fedshirevets.gov/ job/vetpref/index.aspx
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your complete application, including required documents, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. To apply on-line, you must complete and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://www.usajobs.gov.
To begin, click the Apply Online button near the bottom of this screen and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents. (After registering in your USAJOBS account and clicking “Submit,” you will automatically transition to the Department of Commerce’s specific site where you will complete your application. You must click “Submit” at the end of the application process to send your application for consideration.)
To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/ and click on “Applications.” Click on the position title, and then select “Update Application.”
If you have problems completing your on-line application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk via firstname.lastname@example.org (866-656-6831). The help desk is available Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online; however, if you are unable to apply online, please contact: Julia Schroeder
Agency contact information
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ADMINISTRATION
1401 Constitution Ave, NW
District of Columbia
Learn more about this agency
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on “Applications”. The status will be visible next to the corresponding positions.
The four points of notification are:
1. Application Received or Application Incomplete;
2. Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Requirement Not Met;
3. Referred or Not Referred; and
4. Selected or Not Selected
By submitting your application, you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be terminated after
you begin work; or, you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will be required to submit official documentation prior to appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, veterans’ preference, disability, etc.).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.