Open & closing dates
03/04/2019 to 01/06/2020
Pay scale & grade
GS 05 – 09
$33,394 to $79,410 per year
77 vacancies in the following locations:
949 E 36 Ave Anchorage, AK
850 Trafalgar Crt Maitland, FL
7850 SW 6th Crt Plantation, FL
9 Park of Commerce Blvd Savannah, GA
- Show more locations (18)
550 W Fort St Boise, ID
2001 Butterfield Rd Downers Grove, IL
Downers Grove, IL
1500 Leestown Rd Lexington, KY
31 Hopkins Plaza Baltimore, MD
5338 Montgomery Blvd Albuquerque, NM
2945 Rodeo Park Dr E Business Center Santa Fe, NM
Santa Fe, NM
110 City Parkway Las Vegas, NV
Las Vegas, NV
300 Both Street Reno, NV
1220 SW 3rd Ave Portland, OR
3 W Broad St Bethlehem, PA
4400 Leeds Ave Ste 270 N Charleston, SC
1835 Assembly St Columbia, SC
801 Broadway Nashville, TN
555 North Carancahua Corpus Christi, TX
Corpus Christi, TX
700 E. San Antonio El Paso, TX
El Paso, TX
915 Second Ave Seattle, WA
1901 E Capitol Dr Ste B Appleton, WI
211 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee, WI
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
Internal to an agency
Current federal employees of this agency.
Individuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Clarification from the agency
IRS employees on Career or Career Conditional Appointments in the competitive service who are Recent Graduates and completed a degree or certificate from a qualifying education institution within the previous 2 yrs. from application submission date.
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYMENT (SB/SE) DIVISION? The SB/SE Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
See “Other Information” for Locations
Learn more about this agency
The IRS Internal Recent Graduates Program affords a developmental opportunity to IRS employees, who have graduated within the previous 2 years from a qualifying educational institution or program. If selected, you will be placed in a position as Revenue Officer, GS-1169, Career Ladder 5/7/9 with promotion potential to GS-11 in the Small Business/Self Employed Division.
To successfully complete the Recent Graduates Program, you must complete 1 yearin the position, a minimum of at least 40 hours of interactive training, Mentorship, and demonstration of successful job performance. If for any reason you do not successfully complete the program you will be returned to the previous grade of the same or similar position you previously held within IRS prior to being selected for the Recent Graduates Program. Placement is neither guaranteed nor implied.
During the first year, all applicants selected for these positions will receive approximately 3 weeks of orientation, 10 weeks of classroom training, and 40 weeks of on-the job training. Overnight travel may be required for both orientation and classroom training, while on-the- job training is generally provided in the employee’s post of duty. The training program consists of alternating periods of classroom and on-the- job training
The following are the duties of this position at the GS-11. You will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
As a Revenue Officer you will:
- Collect delinquent tax and secures delinquent returns from taxpayers who have not resolved their obligations in response to prior correspondence or other contact.
- Conduct interviews with taxpayers (and/or their representatives) to obtain financial information, assess taxpayer’s ability to pay outstanding tax obligations, collecting delinquent taxes and securing delinquent tax returns
- Counsel taxpayers on their tax filing, deposit and payment obligations actions needed to bring taxpayers into full compliance. Provides guidance and service on a wide range of financial problems to assist the taxpayer toward a positive course of action to resolve tax issues.
- Work with taxpayers and their representatives to develop a plan of action to resolve delinquencies. Takes enforced collection actions. Evaluate/compare taxpayers’ financial information to internal/external sources to verify their financial condition.
- Provide customer service by respecting and explaining the taxpayer’s rights, IRS policies and procedures. Provide instructions, and analyzes issues presented by taxpayers, practitioners and IRS employees.
- Resolve account discrepancies and responds to taxpayer and practitioner requests. Meet taxpayers or their representatives at the business location or residence for non-business taxpayers in order to view the assets or number of employees, or to observe indications of hardship or business failure.
- Perform credit and financial analysis of the taxpayer financial records to determine the taxpayer’s financial condition and ability to pay outstanding tax obligations and prevent future delinquencies. Analyzes financial information and evaluates assets
- Confer with internal and external advisors, analysts, or attorneys (for example: Counsel or Department of Justice) regarding case development, issue determination, case processing and coordination.
- Recognize patterns of delay and other indicators that a taxpayer is not cooperating or attempting to defeat assessment or collection of delinquent tax.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel – 1 to 5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
1169 Internal Revenue Officer
77 Positions are located in Small Business/Self Employed Division in the following locations:
Central Locations: 5 vacancies in Baltimore, MD; 5 vacancies in Downers Grove, IL; 4 vacancies in Lexington, KY; and 3 vacancies in Bethlehem, PA.
Gulf States Locations: 5 vacancies in Nashville, TN; 5 vacancies in El Paso, TX; and 4 vacancies in Corpus Christi, TX
Northwest Locations: 5 vacancies in Seattle, WA; 2 vacancies in Boise, ID; 2 vacancies in Appleton, WI; 2 vacancies in Milwaukee, WI; 2 vacancies in Portland, OR; and 5 vacancies in Anchorage, AK.
South Atlantic Locations: 5 vacancies in Plantation, FL; 4 vacancies in Maitland, FL; 8 vacancies in Savannah, GA; 2 vacancies in Charleston, SC; and 4 vacancies in Columbia, SC.
Southwest Locations: 1 vacancy in Albuquerque, NM; 2 vacancies in Las Vegas, NV; 1 vacancy in Reno, NV; and 1 vacancies in Santa Fe, NM.
POSITION DESCRIPTIONS (GS-5) 95522, (GS-7) 95513, (GS-9) 95514
A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at: https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- All selectees must sign a Participant Agreement.
- If selected, an official transcript/proof of Recent Graduate status is required prior to placement.
- Pay retention may be offered based on applicable laws and regulations.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Must meet IRS telework eligibility requirements
- Tour of Duty: Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- College Degree/Academic Program must be completed prior to placement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be ranked in accordance with the Service’s Merit Promotion Plan (i.e., National Agreement or Internal Revenue Manual). Your application will also be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. You may obtain your most recent awards listing at https://persinfo.web.irs.gov/. Your rating may be lowered, if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus employee eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), you must receive a score of 80 or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.