Open & closing dates
10/18/2018 to 10/29/2018
Pay scale & grade
$12.74 to $16.56 per hour
1 vacancy in the following location:
San Juan, PR
Yes as determined by agency policy
This job is open to
USDA is a great place to start or continue your career. USDA is ranked as one of the top 10 “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government” by the Partnership for Public Service. Rankings are based on employee feedback regarding satisfaction with their work experience.
This position is a bilingual position. Applicants must have fluent knowledge of the English and Spanish language in order to effectively and accurately communicate both verbally and in writing.
Learn more about this agency
Position is that of a Student Trainee who carries out increasingly complex responsibilities to gain the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform a full range of assignments related to Rural Development programs and the role of Loan Technician. Work schedule is flexible and can be negotiated to accommodate the Trainee’s school obligations.
The Student Trainee will perform a variety of duties and activities related to Rural Development’s loan and grant programs in Multi-Family Housing, Community Programs, Business Programs, or Single-Family Housing. Typical duties may include:
- Maintaining electronic and manual files; collecting, gathering, and compiling data; operating automated systems;
- Receiving visitors and answering telephone inquiries;
- Assisting with or attending community outreach events;
- Assisting with preparation of loan processing, servicing and closing documents; providing information to borrowers and applicants on loan/grant programs, eligibility and funding; AND
- Assisting with review of loan applications for completeness and conformance with agency regulations.
Occasional travel – 1-5 days as required
Conditions of Employment
• Must be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution.
• Complete at least 640 hours of work experience prior to completion of degree.
• Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying educational institution.
• A signed participant agreement is required for employment under Pathways each
academic year while in the program.
• Must be a US Citizen or lawfully admitted to US as a permanent resident.
• To be eligible for appointment to this position, the new hire must be cleared.
to come on board once the results of the fingerprint check, review of the OF-306,
Declaration for Federal Employment, and the candidate’s Electronic Questionnaires
for Investigations Processing (eQIP) entries have been reviewed and determined to
be satisfactory. This position requires a favorable credit check as part of the
• Student Trainees must serve a 2-year trial period.
• All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
• Must be 16 years of age
The Internship Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a variety of qualifying educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore career paths related to their academic fields of study or career interests.
Interns may work flexible schedules with supervisor approval.
Interns may be non-competitively converted to a term, career-conditional or career appointment within 120 days following successful completion of all education and work requirements in accordance with 5 CFR 362.204.
Interns selected from this vacancy announcement may be eligible for conversion to a GS-1101-05/06/07 Loan Technician career ladder position depending on qualifications and the Agency’s need.
An agency is not required to convert any individual in a Pathways position to a position in the competitive service, whether upon completion of degree requirements or otherwise. Conversion to a competitive service positions is not an entitlement.
In addition to meeting the pathways requirements for conversion, an applicant converting to a Loan Technician, GS-1101-05/06/07 is required to also meet the basic requirement for the GS-1101 series. For more information on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standard for the GS-1101 series click: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-admin.asp.
The applicant must also be a U.S. citizen upon conversion.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including the following education requirements.
For the GS-03 level: Applicants must have completed 1 full academic year of post-high school study. (One full academic year is the number of credit hours determined by the college, university, or school to represent one year of full-time study).
Note: For more information on the qualification for GS-1199 series, click here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-PIP
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
• BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND FINGERPRINT CHECK: Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
• Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
• E-Verify: Federal law requires agencies to use the E-Verify system to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. If you are selected as a newly hired employee, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on your entry-on-duty date will be verified through the DHS ‘E-VERIFY’ system. Under the system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
• If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
• If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
• This position is eligible for telework and other flexible work arrangements under supervisor approval.
• Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Individuals will be evaluated against OPM qualification standard for the position being filled. NOTE: To be considered for Pathways Internship positions, you must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements set forth in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards by the closing date of the announcement. A copy is available at: http://www.opm .gov/qualifications/index.asp.
Each applicant will receive a determination of eligible or ineligible.
We will review your application to ensure you meet the job requirements and assess your ability to perform this job. Before any certificate can be issued to the selecting official, the resume and supporting documents are reviewed by an HR Specialist to ensure that minimum qualification requirements are met.
Qualified applicants eligible for veteran’s preference will be referred and considered ahead of non-veterans.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the “Apply Online” button to the right.
To view the application form, visit: https://rhs.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=25F882F2-AEAC-401F-B1CA-A97700F6B235
Background checks and security clearance
Q – Nonsensitive
Drug test required
The following documents are required for your application to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in mail service, your system failure or downtime, etc. Encrypted and digitally signed documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume must include: 1) personal information; 2) education; 3) work experience including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; and title, series and grade if applicable; 4) supervisor’s phone number, e-mail address for each work period listed, and whether or not we may contact them for reference checks; and 5) other qualifications.
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance of enrollment and good academic standing:
- In the form of letters, records, or statements issued from a high school, vocational institution, college or university. The documentation provided must be issued from an authorized source (example: university registrar’s office). AND/OR
- A copy of your most recent transcripts which show your field of study, school name, student’s name, current GPA or academic standing, past and current course work, degree program, and major/concentration. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application; however, if selected, an official college transcript will be required prior to entering on duty.
You must submit the documents below if you claim any of the following:
- Veterans, if claiming preference: DD-214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty showing dates of service and type of discharge. Disabled veterans must include VA letter & SF-15 if claiming 10 pt. preference. Current active duty members must submit certification that they are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after date the certification is submitted.
NOTE: If a document is resubmitted, it replaces the previous submission, which means the previous document is no longer available to the Human Resources Office. If you are adding to, rather than replacing a previous submission, you must upload both the old document and the new document. Please verify that documents you are uploading from USAJOBs transfer into the Agency’s staffing system as there is a limitation to the number of documents that can be transferred. However, once in the Agency’s staffing system, you will have the opportunity to upload additional documents. Uploaded resumes must be less than 3MB and in one of the following document formats: GIF, JPG, JPEG, PNG, RTF, PDF, or Word (DOC or DOCX).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Coverage under the Federal Employees’ Health Benefits (FEHB) and Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) programs. Coverage is available to Student Trainees who are employed under an OPM approved career-related work-study program under Schedule D of at least 1 year’s duration and who is expected to be in a pay status for at least one-third of the total period of time from the date of the first appointment to the completion of the work-study program.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Please read the entire announcement and all instructions before you begin. You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Applying online is highly encouraged. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m., Monday – Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, contact the Agency Contact listed below well before the closing date for an alternate method. All hardship application packages must be complete and submitted no later than noon ET on the closing date of the announcement in order to be entered into the system prior to its closing.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; contact the Agency Contact to request this.
To begin, click “Apply Online” and follow the instructions to complete the Assessment Questionnaire and attach your resume and all required documents.
NOTE: You must verify that uploaded documents from USAJOBS transfer into the Agency’s staffing system. Applicants may combine all like required documents (e.g., all SF-50s) into one or more files and scan for uploading into the application. Each file must not exceed 3MB. Grouping like documents into files will simplify the application process. Documents must be in one of the following formats: GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, PNG, RTF, or Word (DOC or DOCX). Uploaded documents may not require a password, digital signature, or other encryption to open.
Agency contact information
USDA Rural Development
Please read entire announcement
Please apply online,
Learn more about this agency
Your application will be reviewed to verify that you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements for the position prior to issuing referral lists to the selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. Log in to your USAJOBS account at USAJOBS account to check your application status. We expect to make a final job offer approximately 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.