Open & closing dates
11/07/2018 to 11/21/2018This job will close when we have received 50 applications which may be sooner than the closing date. Learn more
Pay scale & grade
$14.30 to $18.59 per hour
Part-Time – 32 Hours weekly
1 vacancy in the following location:
This job is open to
Open to the first 50 applicants or until 11/21/2018 whichever comes first. All applications submitted by 11:59 (EST) on the closing day will receive consideration.
This is an indefinite, Excepted Service appointment that may continue if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements under the Pathways Internship program and funding is available.
Interns may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment.
Learn more about this agency
This Administrative Support Assistant will be an integral member of the administrative support
team that supports managers and employees with a number of tasks utilizing departmental,
agency, regional, and park guidelines and software programs.
These tasks include (with supervision) (1) assisting with execution and adjustment of budget using the Financial and Business Management System (FBMS) and the Administrative Financial System (AFS4) (2) Assisting with checking in and out of new employees/departing employees (3) purchasing and payments using the government charge card (4) inventory and assignment of property (5) timekeeping using the Quicktime system (6) Respond to public phone calls and assist visitors at the headquarters building (7) support with any other day-to-day park
operations and activities. The individual must be effective in verbal and written communication. The incumbent must be
able to work well as part of a team.
Duties will be developmental in nature when filled below the full performance level.
AREA INFORMATION/HOUSING INFORMATION: Flagstaff, Arizona has a population of approximately 55,000 and is at an elevation of 7,000 feet. Flagstaff is located 80 miles from Grand Canyon National Park. Clear, sunny days with low relative humidity characterize Flagstaff’s climate. Summers are warm with high temperatures in the 80’s and frequent afternoon monsoon thunderstorms. Winters are cold with temperatures averaging in the 20’s, and snow averaging around 80 inches. Flagstaff offers complete medical, dental and shopping services, along with excellent educational opportunities at Northern Arizona University and Coconino Community College. The country that surrounds Flagstaff is some of the most fascinating and beautiful in the southwest. A day on the road may take you from lush, green forests to the rugged, colorful desert. Several Indian Reservations, the San Francisco Peaks, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, several national monuments and parks including Grand Canyon National Park known throughout the world for its overwhelming size, intricate and colorful landscape, and as one of the most spectacular examples of arid land erosions in the world, are accessible from Flagstaff. There is no housing available at this park.
Conditions of Employment
Direct Deposit: Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
Pathways Agreement: Pathways participant agreement is required.
Incidental Driving: You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver’s license.
Work Schedule: Work schedule is part-time.
Trial Period: The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
Government Charge Card: You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
Minimum Age Requirement: Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or (c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.
QualificationsTo qualify for this position you must be currently enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking program. (You must provide proof of enrollment by the closing date to be considered.) And you must have at least one year of specialized experience as an Administrative Assistant or in a directly-related field equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to at least the GS-03 level in the Federal service. At the GS-03 level, the applicant performs routine office duties including answering phones, filing, typing and tracking correspondence memos or reports. Or you must have at least two academic years of post-high school study or associate’s degree. The required education must lead to a bachelor’s degree with specialization in or directly related to the field in which the student trainees will receive training on the job. OR you must have a equivalent combination of education and experience. In addition you must also be able to type a minimum of 40 words per minute based on a 5 minute typing test with three or fewer errors.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as “varies”.
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.
You will NOT be considered under Pathways unless you provide supporting information from your school. Documentation may be provided in letter format from your academic advisor, school counselor, admission office, etc. to prove enrollment OR it may be provided in the form of several official documents from your school such as a copy of your official transcripts and a copy of your class schedule for next semester. Copies of documents from your school website are acceptable if they contain all relevant information as listed above. Letters from advisors or other school officials must be on school letterhead.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Promotion to the full performance level is neither guaranteed nor implied and will be based solely on your ability to satisfactorily perform the work of the position, existing work at the higher grade level, and recommendation by the position’s supervisor.
If selected, you will be required to sign a Pathways Agreement which specifies the conditions of your employment as we’ve indicated in this job announcement. You must continue to meet the Pathways Program requirements throughout the duration of your appointment. To verify that you do, we will require proof of your continued enrollment and good standing each semester or grading period throughout your internship. Failure to do so will result in termination of your internship and employment.
Physical Demands: The work is mostly sedentary for long periods of time, and requires some walking, crouching, and light lifting.
Working Conditions: The work is conducted within an office environment.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Occupational Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated ‘ineligible’, ‘not qualified’, or your score may be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. These procedures place candidates with veteran’s preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. Under Category Rating, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories:
- Best Qualified – applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position
- Well Qualified – applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in most of the requirements of the job
- Qualified – applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Database Management Systems
- Manages and Organizes Information
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust – Background Investigation
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 11/21/2018:
- Resume which includes a list of all significant jobs held and duties performed, with dates specified in month and year format, and, indicate hours worked per week. If military or civilian, please include your rank and/or grade.
- A complete Occupational Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents, if applicable, such as:
- Veterans Preference Documentation:
- If you are a Discharged, Non-Disabled Veteran, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character of discharge (Member 4 copy), or other Documentation of Service and Separation under Honorable Conditions, as listed on the SF15. If you don’t have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives.
- If you are a veteran within 120 days of discharge, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, & 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.
- If you are a Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient, or Mother or Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Veteran, you must submit all additional proof required by the SF15, and if applicable, a completed SF15. You may request a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs letter from www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 to establish proof of disability.
- Veterans Preference Documentation:
- Documentation that you meet Selective Factors.
- Student Documentation: Current college transcripts (can be unofficial), or current acceptance letter from school indicating enrollment of at least half time (if grades have not been posted).
Do not submit photographs with your application package. Documents with photographs may not be seen by hiring officials – you must remove your image from any badges, licenses, etc.
Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency’s staffing offices.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position: You must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To receive consideration, the complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 11/21/2018. WE DO NOT ACCEPT HARD-COPY OR E-MAIL APPLICATION PACKAGES.
- Select Apply. If you are not logged in, you will be prompted to login or create an account.
- Start the Application Process by selecting “Start Application.”
- Click here for USAJobs Help with “How to create an application”
- To PREVIEW the application questionnaire, select the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10346332
- Select or add the resume you want to use for this application. Click here on how to build a resume in USAJOBS.
- Select documents you want included in this application.
- Review package to acknowledge your documents were reviewed.
- Select if you want to include your demographic information.
- After reading and certifying the application is true and submitted in good faith, select “Continue to Agency Site.”
- Follow onscreen prompts and instructions to complete your application.
- Add the supporting documents by indexing your documents with the dropdown.
- Upload any missing required documents or optional documents.
- Review and Submit Application.
- While logged in, you can check the status of your application by selecting “+” next to the job title for this position.
- You can review or revise your application at any point during the open period of the announcement.
- To update an application, you should log into your USAJOBS account and select “+” next to the job title for this position. Select “Update Application” for this job.
- Note: When you click Update Application, you will be prompted to re-select your documents from USAJOBS. Documents submitted with the first application will no longer be associated with the applicant record. So it is important that you select all documents you want to use in the re-application.
Agency contact information
Flagstaff Area National Monuments
6400 N Hwy 89
Learn more about this agency
Once the Occupational Questionnaire is received you will receive acknowledgement that your submission was successful. If you are among the most qualified candidates and your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly for a possible interview. You will be notified of the status of your Application Package at the time candidates are referred for consideration, and when the selection process is complete.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.