Open & closing dates
02/11/2019 to 02/15/2019
Pay scale & grade
GS 4 – 5
$31,345 to $49,721 per year
New York, NY
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
These positions may be located in any organizational component within CMS. For more information about organizational components in CMS, visit http://www.cms.gov/.
As a Student Trainee (Administrative), GS-0399-4/5, you will participate in a short-term internship program designed to give students work experience. You will perform duties relative to your assigned division and will work under the general supervision of the immediate director.
Learn more about this agency
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in the preparation of a variety of administrative material required to support the organization.
- Assist in reviewing reports and other administrative documents for correctness and verifying discrepancies with the appropriate office or individual .
- Assist higher level employees in evaluating the success of projects in attaining their productive goals.
- Assist in assembling data and consolidating and preparing reports for assigned projects.
- Type memorandum, reports and other documents as assigned and reviews for correctness and conformance to organizational policies.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
- You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
- You must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement before starting employment.
- You must be 16 years old to be employed by the Federal government.
QualificationsALL PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENT:
To be eligible for the CMS Pathways – Summer Internship Program, an individual must be enrolled and seeking a degree (e.g., diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution/ program on a full or half-time basis for the upcoming SPRING, SUMMER, or FALL 2019. Additional proof of enrollment for the upcoming SUMMER or FALL 2019 semester will be required before a final job offer can be extended. Click here for a definition of a qualifying education institution/ program.
– AND –
Possess and maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on the unweighted 4.0 scale. GPA is based on current enrollment. GPA 2.95 is rounded to 3.0 and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9. NOTE: Students enrolled in a school or college that utilizes a Pass/Fail grading system are required to submit an unofficial transcript which must include the Institutions legend that documents the Pass/Fail equivalency.
TRANSCRIPTS or other applicable education documents (e.g., acceptance letter) are required at the time of application to verify program eligibility.
- GS-04: Completion of 2 full academic years of education above high school OR an Associate’s or equivalent degree.
- GS-05: Completion of a Bachelor’s degree, equivalent degree, OR 4 academic years of education above high school that leads to a to a Bachelor’s degree.
TRANSCRIPTS are required at the time of application to verify satisfactory completion of education as part of the program eligibility and qualification requirements. You must submit an unofficial transcript from your Institution attesting to your possession of the required education. All unofficial transcripts must include the following: current overall GPA, enrollment status, major, and the number of credits for each course. If you do not submit a transcript indicating your possession of the required education, you will not be considered for this position.
Click the following link to view the occupational questionnaire: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10412562
Woodlawn, MD – $33,172 – $48,249
New York, NY – $34,183 – $49,721
Philadelphia, PA – $32,233 – $46,883
Atlanta, GA – $31,345 – $45,593
All CMS Pathway employees are hired at the step 1 of the grade in which they are selected.
Bargaining Unit Position: No
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
Benefits: Summer Interns hired on a short-term basis are not eligible for Federal benefits, i.e. health, life, retirement. Summer Interns will accrue sick leave.
Schedule: Interns are eligible to work Full-time or a Part-time schedule of 16 to 32 hours per week.
Duration of Appointment:
- Summer Intern appointments begin May/June 2019 and last for 12-weeks based on start date.
- Summer Intern appointments may be extended beyond the 12-week not-to-exceed (NTE) date at the agency’s discretion.
- At the agency’s discretion, a Summer Intern (Temporary Intern) may be non-competitively converted to an excepted service Pathways Permanent (year-round) Intern appointment; OR
- At the agency’s discretion, a Summer Intern (Temporary Intern) may be non-competitively converted to the competitive service after all requirements for conversion have been met.
Additional Forms REQUIRED Prior to Appointment:
- Optional Form 306, Declaration of Federal Employment and the Background/Suitability Investigation – A background and suitability investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the successful completion of the investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. If selected, the Optional Form 306 will be required prior to final job offer. Click here to obtain a copy of the Optional Form 306.
- Form I-9, Employment Verification and the Electronic Eligibility Verification Program – CMS participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. If selected, the Form I-9 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here for more information about E-Verify and to obtain a copy of the Form I-9.
- Standard Form 61, Appointment Affidavits – If selected, the Standard Form 61 will be required at the time of in-processing. Click here to obtain a copy of the Standard Form 61.
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location. For Central Office vacancies, the “same geographical location” includes Baltimore, Maryland; Bethesda, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents will be used to determine if you meet eligibility and qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The rating process used for this announcement does not add veterans’ preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are REQUIRED:
1. Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume must also list your work experience and education (if applicable) including the start and end dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, you must include the series and grade level for the position(s). Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). For resume and application tips visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/.
2. CMS Required Documents (e.g., SF-50, DD-214, SF-15, etc.). Required documents may be necessary to be considered for this vacancy announcement. Click here for a detailed description of the required documents. Failure to provide the required documentation WILL result in an ineligible rating OR non-consideration.
3. College Transcripts. You must submit an unofficial transcript at time of application. An official transcript is required if you are selected for the position. If selected, you must provide an original document before the final job offer may be extended.
College Transcripts and Foreign Education: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, visit the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services website. This list, which may not be all inclusive, is for informational purposes only and does not imply any endorsement of any specific agency.
PLEASE NOTE: A complete application package includes the online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents. Please carefully review the full job announcement to include the “Required Documents” and “How to Apply” sections. Failure to submit the online application, resume, transcripts and CMS required documents, will result in you not being considered for employment.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your complete application package, as described in the “Required Documents” section, must be received by 11:59 PM ET on 02/15/2019 to receive consideration.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR WORK EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION.
We strongly encourage applicants to utilize the USAJOBS resume builder in the creation of resumes. Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
- Official Position Title (include series and grade if Federal job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer’s name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month, day and year (e.g. June 18, 2007 to April 05, 2008)
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Determining length of general or specialized experience is dependent on the above information and failure to provide ALL of this information WILL result in a finding of ineligible.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to Interns@cms.hhs.gov. The decision to grant reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
7500 Security Blvd
Learn more about this agency
Once your online application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated to determine your eligibility and qualifications for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another email notification regarding the status of your application.
Within 30 business days of the closing date, 02/15/2019, you may check your status online by logging into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login). We will update your status after each key stage in the application process has been completed.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.