Open & closing dates
02/11/2019 to 02/20/2019
Pay scale & grade
$25,871 to $33,629 per year
Multiple Appointment Types – Temporary, Not to Exceed 120 days
6 vacancies in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
Clarification from the agency
See “Who May Apply” in the “Qualifications” section for more information on who is eligible to apply for this position.
About the Position: Position(s) will be filled under the Department of the Army Pathways Intern Program, which includes the Advancing Minorities’ Interest in Engineering (AMIE) Program. Click here for more information on Pathways program participation.
This is a SUMMER 2019 internship opportunity. You must be able to work full-time on a temporary appointment not to exceed 120 days. The nature of this appointment does not guarantee conversion to a career/career-conditional appointment.
Learn more about this agency
- Pathways Internship positions provide for development and training. Assignments become more responsible as incumbent increases knowledge and skills through work experience and academic training. At the full-performance level, you will be expected to:
- Apply well-established engineering methods in performing technical tasks to support USACE Europe District’s engineering mission.
- Collect and compile data from a variety of sources; process data in accordance with well-defined methods and formulas using arithmetic, algebra, and geometry.
- Make routine design computations based on standard methods and formulas for reinforced concrete structures and steel structures including computations required for the location of centers of gravity of structural steel assemblies.
- Check contractors’ shop drawings for compliance with Government plans and specifications.
- Make on-site inspections at field activities to become familiar with operations or to obtain information to complete assignments; assist engineers or other professionals by conducting research to produce design input.
Occasional travel – Some travel may be required.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- Pathways Internship Program Participants must remain in good academic standing.
- Pathways Internship Program Participants must be at least 16 years of age.
- Pathways Internship Program Participants must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement.
- A SECRET Clearance or the ability to obtain a SECRET Clearance may be required for some positions selected under this announcement.
QualificationsWho May Apply: Students who are eligible for participation in the Department of the Army Internship Program
Positions are open to current students pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate in an accredited high school, college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution on at least a half-time basis (as defined by the institution in which the student is enrolled). Short-term training programs (e.g., several two-week programs completed) are not considered an academic course of study.
Internship for current students in good standing at an accredited education.
This is a SUMMER 2019 internship opportunity. For this internship, you must be able to work full-time on a temporary appointment not to exceed 120 days. The nature of this appointment does not guarantee conversion to a career/career-conditional appointment.
This intern position is designed to prepare a student trainee for employment after graduation as an Engineer. Interns will be assigned tasks designed to increase familiarity with the target occupation in a real world work environment.
For qualification purposes, an academic year is computed as follows:
- At the undergraduate level, successfully completed education that has not led to possession of a degree is credited based on its relationship to 120 semester hours or 180 quarter hours. For example, 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours is comparable to 1 year of undergraduate education. Four years of progressive study or 120 semester hours meets the degree requirements. Additional credit cannot be given for duplicate course work.
- For study at a business or technical school, 36 weeks of study (20+ classroom hours per week) is comparable to 1 academic year above high school.
- An academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 academic year of full-time study. This determination is made based on normal course loads for a full year of study in the graduate program. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.
- When academic credit is expressed in contract months, units, or other terms that differ from conventional semester or quarter hours, it is the responsibility of the applicant to provide an interpretation of such credits from the appropriate institution in order to equate them to the semester or quarter hours specified in the standard.
NOTE: If your college, vocational, trade, technical or high schools’ definition of “academic year” differs from above, you must submit proof of this difference (e.g., copy of course catalog that defines an academic year). Absent this documentation, you will screened for academic qualifications based on the academic hours as defined in the bullets above.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Technical Competence
- Technology Application
Please also submit a Letter of Interest (1 page) with your application.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
In addition to your academic transcripts, you MUST submit proof of Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 enrollment, e.g., a copy of your class schedule for Fall 2019 or Spring 2020, letter of enrollment, pre-registration schedule/transcript(s), or receipt for tuition.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 – Engineers and Scientists position.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Locality pay does not apply in the overseas area.
- This is an unaccompanied overseas assignment.
- The incumbent will be required to physically report to Wiesbaden, Germany. Telework is NOT authorized.
- Government-provided housing accommodations MAY be provided at no cost or for a nominal fee, based on availability.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, letter of interest, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Ideal Candidate, Strong Candidate, and Eligible Candidate. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Ideal: This category will be used for those candidates who meet a basic understanding of technical engineering principles, as shown by courses in Engineering, Engineering or Industrial Technology, Construction, Physics, Drafting, Surveying, Physical Science, or Mathematics; or experience in drafting, surveying, construction estimating, physical science, mathematics, electrical or mechanical systems, or architecture.
- Strong: This category will be used for those candidates who meet many of the criteria described above for the ideal candidate.
- Eligible: This category will be used for those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications of the position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
2. Transcripts and Enrollment Verification:
- Enrollment verification (if transcripts do not reflect current enrollment), and unofficial transcripts for education claimed in your resume and occupational questionnaire is required. If you provide an unofficial transcript at the time of application and you are selected, you will be asked for official versions prior to appointment. See: Transcripts and Licenses
- At time of application, applicant MUST submit proof of Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 enrollment (e.g., copy of your class schedule for Fall 2019 or Spring 2020, letter of enrollment, pre-registration schedule/transcript(s), OR receipt for tuition).
3. Other supporting documents:
- Letter of Interest (1 page)
- Applicants claiming Veterans Preference or Military Spouse preference (MSP): to verify your preference claim you MUST submit supporting documents with your application package.
- If you are currently serving on active duty: You MUST submit a certification from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date you apply to this opportunity. If you supply a certification at this stage, your preference/eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. More information about Veteran’s Preference is located on the Feds Hire Vets website. Please upload veteran’s documents under the appropriate category.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/20/2019 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10419145).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
JD-APF-W2SD06 ARMY ENGINEER DISTRICT, EUROPE
DO NOT MAIL
Learn more about this agency
If you have questions regarding this job posting please visit https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public?id=form_public&sys_id=-1&table=u_application_inquiry_staging and complete the online submission form. To expedite the process please include the Job announcement number, which can be found at the top, right hand side of the job announcement.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.