Open & closing dates
02/11/2019 to 02/25/2019
Pay scale & grade
GS 4 – 6
$31,066 to $38,743 per year
1 vacancy in the following location:
This job is open to
Clarification from the agency
Individuals who are enrolled students or accepted for enrollment on at least a half-time basis in accredited institutions
The intern will work in the Materials Chemistry and Physics Branch located in the Materials and Structures Division of the Research and Engineering Directorate at the NASA Glenn Research Center (GRC).
Learn more about this agency
- The Branch has interest in synthesis and processing of solid state polymer/ceramic multicomponent materials with engineered electrical, thermal, electromagnetic, and structural properties that can be incorporated into multifunctional structures.
- The Branch is specifically interested in computational modeling tools for design, property prediction and analysis of functional and multifunctional materials early in the development process.
- Responsibilities include synthesizing, developing, processing, characterization, and modeling of multifunctional materials based on ceramics, polymers, and inorganic fibers / fabrics.
- Responsibilities include designing materials and structures to reduce the weight and enhance performance and of space exploration and aeronautics systems.
- Responsibilities include developing nanoscale materials and structures with tailored engineered properties.
- Responsibilities include modeling and prediction of individual components behavior and using models to design functional and multifunctional material systems.
- Having a background in modeling of functional materials, machine learning, and developing computer learning algorithms for prediction of materials properties is an advantage.
- Having skills in MatLab, Python or other computer programming languages, machine learning, data analytics, and optimization methods is an advantage.
- This position requires you to work a specific schedule such as one semester at school followed by one semester at NASA.
Occasional travel – Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.