Open & closing dates
01/11/2019 to 01/18/2019
Pay scale & grade
GS 5 – 7
$37,113 to $59,762 per year
1 vacancy in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
To be eligible for the Pathways Intern Program, individuals must have been accepted for enrollment or be enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) In a qualifying educational institution on a full or half time basis.
Learn more about this agency
- Studies regulations and manuals to become familiar with the mission and technical responsibilities of the agency and the programs involved.
- Researches regulations, policies, and standard operating procedures to identify areas for improvement.
- Gathers data, conducts studies, and performs analysis that involves developing solutions to administrative problems in a wide variety of functions and work processes for the area or program studied.
- Participates in the development, maintenance, and monitoring of programs with interrelated functions and operations.
- Conducts management studies and surveys of mission, function, organization, work processes, methods and procedures to identify ways to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and economy of operations.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited school
QualificationsPathways Interns qualify based on their educational achievements.
For the GS-05 grade level: Completion of all requirements for a bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree.
For the GS-07 grade level: Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education or eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision after completing a bachelor’s degree.
In addition to meeting the specialized experience requirements, qualified applicants must also possess the quality of experience as it relates to how closely or to what extent an applicant’s background, recency of experience, education, and training are relevant to the duties and responsibilities of the announced position. Candidates must clearly demonstrate the possession of knowledge, skills and abilities, or competencies necessary to successfully perform the work of the position at the appropriate level to be qualified for the position. Applicants must describe how their experience meets the competencies within the body of the resume. No separate statements addressing KSA’s or competencies are required.
To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university. You must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination
- Management has the prerogative to select at any grade level.
- This recruitment provides promotion opportunity to target position without further competition when selectee is eligible and recommended by management. However promotion is not guaranteed and no promise of a promotion is implied.
- Applicants selected from this job opportunity announcement may be non-competitively converted to a competitive service appointment after completing all requirements of the DFAS Pathways Internship Program.
- Applicants must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement; be able to furnish course registration information at the start of each school term; and be able to provide verification of academic status (official transcript) at the end of each academic term..
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- Moving costs MAY be paid. They MUST be paid if a DISA employee is selected for the position. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 makes certain reimbursements/payments taxable. For information on these changes and the Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA), for which some appointees are eligible, click here.
- For more information on veterans’ preference click here.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (to verify your registration status click here).
- The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants.
- For more information regarding qualifications requirements please click here.
- You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
How You Will Be Evaluated:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. We will review your resume and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Administration and Management
- Office Automation
- Planning and Evaluating
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: ~
Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
1. Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
2. Highly Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
3. Best Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans’ preference points or apply the “rule of three,” but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligible’s who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AS THEY APPLY STATED BELOW AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLOSE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
1. Transcripts (Required) – To be eligible for the Pathways Internship Program, you must submit unofficial/official transcripts with the current enrollment period course load. The absence of this information will result in an ineligible rating.
2. Veterans Preference Documentation (If applicable):
- For Five Point Veterans Preference: DD-214 (Member Copy 4), or, if you are CURRENTLY serving on active duty, a statement of service from your unit which states the date you entered on active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received. For those supplying the statement of service, preference will be verified by a DD-214 (Member Copy 4) upon separation from the military.
- For Ten Point Veterans Preference: DD-214 (Member Copy 4). Veterans with a service-connected disability must also submit a VA letter dated 1991 or later.
Your complete Application Package (containing the above required documents) must be received no later than 11:59 pm Eastern Time on .
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 EST, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from
schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
1. Your Resume NOTE: Your resume must include the following information for each job listed:
Job title; duties (be as detailed as possible); month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008); and full- time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other required supporting documents: (SEE BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON REQUIRED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS)
Click ‘Apply Online’ to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
DISA – DEFENSE SPECTRUM ORGANIZATION
6910 Cooper Road
Learn more about this agency
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Based upon your score, you may be referred to the hiring official. If your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
For any further questions please contact:
Phone: (317) 212-0793
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply,
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.